AVHC Preservation Project: The Catholic Chapel (Building 119)Initially, services for the Catholic Veterans were held in the Protestant Chapel (Building 118). This was truly an ecumenical endeavor and an early example of inter-faith cooperation in Veterans' care. The Chapel of the Good Shepherd was dedicated on June 21st, 1898. Built by private donations from local Catholic churches, at one time it also served the Catholic community west of Dayton.
A large stained glass window in the choir balcony features crossed flags and the word “VICTORY” in commemoration of the United States victory in the (then) recently concluded Spanish-American War. A magnificent altar is the centerpiece of the Chapel. The large marble altar was Heinrich Schroeder's last completed work before his death in 1898.
The Chapel of the Good Sheperd is currently closed while awaiting restoration and return to operation.